Huwebes, Marso 3, 2016

16 BOOKS I’LL FORCE* MY KID TO READ




(Part 1 of 3-parts series in celebration of World Book Day)

This is not a book review. This is just me, a children’s book fanatic raving about my favorite books. Most of these I loved even before my first book came out.




If someone asked me then for 3 most admired names in children’s literature, my answer would have been Augie Rivera, Becky Bravo and Russell Molina.  And faced with the same question now, my answer is still the same.  Why? It’s because of these three books:

MAGNIFICENT BENITO AND HIS TWO FRONT TEETH
Story by Augie Rivera and Mike Rivera
Illustration by Jason Moss
Published by Adarna House


Yes, Augie Rivera is known for his other stories— the classic Alamat ng Ampalaya, the controversial Mantsa and his most recent Ang Bata sa Basket. But this title will always be my favorite: MAGNIFICENT BENITO AND HIS TWO FRONT TEETH. He wrote this with Mike, his partner. I wish they will write a sequel. This book is hilarious! Really, I always crack up whenever I read it. And Jason Moss’ illustrations! They go so well with the humor and wit of the story. I liked Benito, the main character so much I named one of my cats after him (I even staged a puppet play of the story in my creative writing class and in Conspiracy bar for a KUTING event! And made fan art haha). Some people find the book a bit dark for young minds but I think it’s fantastic. It’s reminiscent of Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake’s books.

FISH FOR TWO
Story by Beck Bravo
Illustration by Jason Moss
Published by Lampara Books



Becky Bravo has a way with words. They become magical, powerful when she wields them (you should also read Rooster in the Sun, Just Add Dirt and The Rocking Horse). I can almost smell the bangus, the tilapia, the lapulapu! I can hear the cat’s mewling! I can feel the fish bone in MY throat! That’s why I love love this book. Ok, so I’m a cat-lover but I assure you, even those who do not fancy cats will enjoy this book. Jason Moss’ illustrations for this story is so funny, he remains one of my dream illustrators until now (Hi Jason! :D). I wish I came up with the story. I wish I have the originality of the artist. Yes, it’s a book I wish I wrote and illustrated.

SANDOSENANG KUYA
Story by Russell Molina
Illustration by Hubert Fucio
Published by Adarna House


If I were to describe Russell Molina’s stories, it would be “may kurot sa puso.” He never fails. You will find yourself smiling, surprised, and sniffling. He does it in a few pages. In verses! His works are fun to read aloud, too. Go ahead, grab a copy of one of his books and you’ll know what I mean. He also writes mean graphic novels—Sixty Six and 12:01. Among his children's books, I love  Salamat Po! and Tuwing Sabado. But Sandosenang Kuya will always be my favorite.  It is illustrated wonderfully by Hubert Fucio. I learned from my Educ Reading classes that a story book is a twice-told tale. Hubert did an amazing retelling of the story with his unique technique, lively colors and animated lines. 

(part 2 will be posted soon)

*Jedi mind trick :p

1 komento: