Linggo, Marso 20, 2016

5 Filipino Children’s Book Classics



The following are well-loved books. As a teacher, these would be among few selected books I’ll build a curriculum around. As a mother, I will read them over and over to my little girl.




SI INGGOLOK AT ANG PLANETA PAKASKAS
Story by Lem Garcellano and Rene Villanueva
Illustration by Bernard Bunag and Jojo Topacio
Published by Cacho Publishing House, Inc.


One of Aklat Batibot series, Si Inggolok at ang Planeta Pakaskas could be your child’s first sci-fi story. And it’s really timely, with climate change at our doorstep. Lem Garcellano and Rene Villanueva are masters of storytelling and they are two big minds behind the children’s show Batibot. Lem Garcellano produced other equally wonderful shows for kids (check out Eskuwela ng Bayan, PetKo, Sirit) and wrote children’s books Klekluk and Si Puyinggot at si Puyonggit. What I love about his books is the play of words. I know the story behind Inggolok (Inggo, look!) and Pakaskas (that yummy Mindoro delicacy). And he is so good at world building, worlds you can imagine existing. He also strikes anytime, anywhere (he can write at the noisy mall foodcourt, while doing the laundry or taking care of his grandkids). Rene Villanueva is a playwright who wrote over 60 books. He is best known for his Carancal series. I’ll tell you more about him in my next blog post.

BRU-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA... BRU-HI-HI-HI-HI-HI...
Story by Ma. Corazon Remigio
Illustration by Roland Mechael Ilagan
Published by Adarna House



The title seems lots of fun and yes, this book is packed with laughter. But it also deals with many issues: growing old, discrimination, superstitious beliefs gone haywire. I love the mystery, the build up and the twist at the end. The illustrations are realistic and are very Filipino. Every scene depicted in the book invokes a range of emotions from the reader.

PAPEL DE LIHA
Story by Ompong Remigio
Illustration by Beth Parrocha-Doctolero
Published by Adarna House


The story is simple yet powerful. It is beautifully rendered by one of my favourite Filipino children’s book illustrator. Even before I became a mother, this book appealed to me.  More than just a tribute to moms, it is also a book for daughters and sons. The story is musical, like Nanay’s lullaby. Once you read it, you’ll remember how your mother cared for you. And if you’re a parent, realize that you have the same boundless love for your child. Some say the story confines women’s role to housework but the whole narrative is from a child’s point of view. If you look through the character’s eyes you’ll see what she sees and feel what she feels—hands that are gentle, hands of her mother who loves her.

SUNDALONG PATPAT
Story by Virgilio Almario
Illustration by Ferdinand Doctolero
Published by Adarna House


Sundalong Patpat will always have a special place in my heart. I remember when I first started collecting children’s books, this particular title put a spell on me. I love reading it over and over again. And no wonder, the author, Virgilio Almario is a poet and a National Artist for Literature.  His works have been known to be mind-blowing, heart-racing and revolutionary. The art works by Ferdinand Doctolero are full of movement. Every page is distinctive and throbbing with adventure.

SI CHING NA TAKOT SA DILIM
Story by Aleli Dew Batnag
Illustration by Paul Eric Roca
Published by Adarna House


This books deals, not just with fear of the dark but with the wonders of the night. It personally appealed to me because I am a creature of the stars. The magnificence of the night sky is something I always want to share and this book does it for me. I like the use of colors and thick wavy lines in the illustrations. The dark is not depicted as solid black but a myriad of cool (blues, violets, greens) colors.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento